What's the Matter With These Students, Anyway?

Given our egalitarian age, I thought I had a brilliant idea for a new grading system for my classes, and I explained it to all of them today. "At the end of the semester," I told them, "after I've figured out the final grades, I'm going to equalize things. I'm going to take away points from those students who made in the 90s, and give them to those students who have an average in the 50s. That way everybody will have a grade in the 70s and we'll have equality. Isn't that a grand idea?"

They didn't seem to think it was fair at all.

"But," I said, "don't you want to spread the points?"

Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope.

"But, class, surely those people who made in the 90s had to have cheated to get there. And those who made in the 50s, well, they were down there through no fault of their own."

They weren't buying it.

"But, 'from each according to his ability, to each according to his need.'"

I couldn't convince them. So I just had to drop the idea. Nobody seemed to like it.

Well, those students who are making in the 50s thought it was a capital suggestion. In fact, they were ready...to elect me President.