Current Events Ramblings, 10/8

In case you missed it, the September unemployment rate jumped up to 10.1%.  Something maybe the major media...inadvertently...overlooked.  Uh huh.

**********
Some conservative commentators are predicting that the Republicans will take over the House of Representative and the Senate in next month's elections.  Dick Morris is saying the GOP will pick up 100 seats in the House.  Since I'm not in America, it's hard for me to gague the mood of the country, except through what I read.  And it's hard to find unbiased reporting.  I read Rush and get the conservative slant, and then if I browse AP or MSNBC, I'll get the other side.  I don't spend a whole lot of time doing either, frankly, so I don't feel terribly qualified to make a prediction.  I think it's fairly obvious that the Republicans are going to pick up a lot of seats in both houses, but whether they can win either chamber...I don't know.  They've got a long way to go do that.  It will be interesting, that's for sure.

**********
As I write this, the Texas Rangers now lead the Tampa Bays Rays 2-0 in their playoff series.  I suspect the Rangers will win that series simply because TB has not been playing well for the past two weeks.  But then the Rangers will run into the Yankees and that will probably spell doom.  The Yankees and the Phillies will be in the World Series, and it's a toss-up who will win that.  But my guess is the Phillies; they have better pitching and that usually tells the tale in a shorter series.  There is a major league baseball league here in Korea, too, but I can't tell you anything about it, not that you'd want to know anyway.