Current Event Ramblings, October 16

As I write this (Saturday morning, 11:00), the Texas Rangers are leading the New York Yankees, 5-0, in the fifth inning of the first game of the American League Championship Series.  I don't expect the Rangers to win that series, though I hope they do.  The Yankees aren't invincible, however, so maybe the Rangers can pull it off.  My prediction is still for the Phillies to win it all.

**********
Speaking of sports, what's the matter with the Dallas Cowboys?  They are 1-3 at the moment.  They've got a better team than that, but they better start showing it or the season will be over for them very soon.  The rest of the division isn't going to sit around and wait for the Cowboys to start playing good football.

**********
I read yesterday that a study was done (I forget by whom, but the source seemed pretty credible to me) that indicated that teenagers between the ages of 13-17 send or receive an average of 3,339 text messages PER MONTH.  If that statistic is true, it provides one of the reasons that our youth are getting dumber and dumber.

**********
By all accounts, including liberal ones, Sharron Angle destroyed Harry Reid in their debate the other night.  I hope that translates in a win for Angle in the Nevada Senate race next month.  Harry Reid is a major reason why the United States is in the toilet right now; getting him out of the Senate won't cure all problems, of course, but it will certainly remove one hemorrhoid from the nation's backside.  Nancy Pelosi and Barney Frank are two more, but they aren't going to lose.  Christine McDonnell, in the Delaware debate, apparently didn't fare so well.  Rush Limbaugh was doing damage control on his show about her after the debate so that tells me she's in trouble.  Delaware might be a little to far east and north to elect a strong conservative.

**********
Well, it's almost time for lunch.  I'm beginning to get used to some of this Korean food; at least my taste buds are.  My guts are still rebelling.  But it's pretty healthy food, lots of greens and they cover them up in spices.  They tell me there are over 100 different ways to prepare kimchi, the staple of the Korean diet, and I think I finally found one that I like.  I've also found cherry Coke, Nestle's Crunch, and Famous Amos cookies so I'm not totally deprived.  The only Western chips I can find are Pringles and they aren't my favorite.  The Korean chips are horrible.  Well, can't have everything.  A big plate of Mexican food would be nice, and there are some Mexican food restaurants in Seoul.  But they had one in England, too, when I lived there many moons ago, and there was no resemblance to the Tex-Mex my palate approves of, so I imagine the Korean version isn't much better.  Especially when New Zealand teachers praise it.