Current Events Ramblings, September 14

Next week is a major Korean holiday called "Chuseok" (pronounced "chew-sock;" it sounds like something a dog would do).  It's sort of a Thanksgiving holiday, but there are no classes at all, so I'll have the week off.  Hopefully, I can get some writing done, though I'm not going to wear myself out doing that.  Actually, I'm not terribly busy this week, either, teaching only about 7 or 8 classes, but I still have to be "at work."  We have what we call "devo time" where we either study our lesson plans for the day or write new ones.  I've studied all the classes I teach several times--and taught them--so that's a bit of a waste, and I'm developing a "Lessons of History" class which I hope to teach starting next month.  I'd like to prepare a Bible lesson, but I think that's taboo.  Most of the teachers, during "devo time" surf the net or play on Facebook or just sit and chat about the trips they are going to take on vacation, like the two next to me at the moment, so it's a bit of a joke.  It's a nice break from teaching 6 hours a day.  I'm certainly looking forward to next week, but I'm not sure any of the shops/restaurants in the village will be open, so I might starve to death.  I'm almost positive the cafeteria won't be open.  Regardless, it will be a relaxing week

**********
I recently sent out a community-wide email--it goes out to all the teachers--asking if anyone would be interested in a Bible study.  I've had a few responses so far, so hopefully we can get everybody's schedule together and start after Chuseok.  I've been meaning to do this for awhile, but I've just been so tired I haven't felt like it.  That's no excuse so I'm going to try to get it started.  Hopefully, there will be a lot of interest.

*********
The Jefferson quote on today's "Quote of the Day" is one of my favorites and I intend to write a "Wisdom From the Founders" article about it soon.  I also want to do some analyzation of the Declaration of Independence, so all of that's on the drawing board.  Plus, a lot of Bible blogs.  I sleep, eat, work, read, and play, too--as well as feel lousy with this depression--so I stay busy.  I appreciate everybody who continues to support my blogs.  I still get hits from strange places--there's somebody in Moscow who reads some of my blogs with regularity--so hopefully I'm doing some good.

**********
I know that people chuckle (make fun?) of athletes when they are interviewing saying "you know...you know...you know" every other second, but listen to anybody under 30 speak today.  What I hear is "like...like...like...like..."  It's virtually universal, and it's aggravating.  Do we teach our kids today how to speak a simple coherent sentence?  I know we don't, and it's sad.  How anyone can defend the American education system today is totally beyond me. 

So many problems, so few solutions.  At least solutions that the politicians and people are willing to accept.